What is Apple TV?
Apple TV is a streaming media device similar to Amazon Fire, Roku and Google Chromecast. It’s essentially a microconsole that includes a small box and remote. Using an HDMI cable, you connect the box to your TV. You can then use Apple TV to stream media from the Internet directly to your TV.
Apple TV uses both touch and voice to interact with your TV, either with an iOS device or through the Siri Remote to interact with your TV screen.
What does Apple TV do?
Once Apple TV is set up, it:
- Turns your TV into an iPhone
- Uses a new operating system called tvOS to connect with your screen
Apple TV vs. Smart TV
If you currently own a Smart TV, you can already connect to the Internet and access Web apps. However, Smart TV owners may still prefer to use a streaming media device like Apple TV for the convenient interface or if they’ve canceled their cable subscription. What are the other benefits of Apple TV over standard Smart TVs?
Apps: The App Store brings games, music, photos, and videos to your TV
Siri: Apple TV is designed to make finding content easy. Ask Siri to find something and it will search across all apps and TV options, eliminating the need to scroll through services separately. You’ll also see if it’s available to rent, buy, or watch with a subscription (if you don’t already have one). What can you ask Siri for?
- Sports scores
- Control playback
- What someone just said. Ask Siri, “What did he just say?” and Siri will skip back and temporarily turn on closed captioning, so you can see what you missed
What you need to get started with Apple TV?
You’ll need to have a few things in place to make Apple TV work:
- High-definition TV with HDMI
- HDMI cable
- Wired or wireless network
- Broadband Internet connection (fees may apply)
- iTunes – (purchasing and renting and Home Sharing require iTunes Store account)
- Optional: Wireless Game Controller
Where can I buy Apple TV?
Want to give Apple TV a go? At hhgregg, you’ll find Apple TV and other streaming devices available both online and in stores. Plus, while you’re shopping, you can browse our wide assortment of electronics and TVs to help you create the ultimate home entertainment systems throughout your house.