Cleaning a Dishwasher
Your dishwasher works hard to remove grease, caked on food and germs from your silverware, cups, plates, bowls and whatever else you manage to cram into those racks. But every once in a while, your dishwasher needs a little cleaning of its own to keep it running in optimal shape. Follow the 10 steps below to make your dishwasher shine like new!
How to Clean A Dishwasher
- Run your dishwasher, then empty it completely, including the racks.
- Clean the spinning wheels by gently clearing away any debris with a toothpick or Q-tip.
- Clear the drain. A toothbrush and baking soda paste work well to accomplish this task with ease.
- Wipe around the seal using a wet cloth. Warm soapy water or white vinegar works best.
- Inspect the floor of the dishwasher for food or debris. Use the toothbrush or a wet cloth.
- Look for any thick buildup underneath the door front and at the upper rim of the front basin.
- If you haven't cleaned your dishwasher in a while, it may be stubborn and greasy. Use baking soda or a mildly abrasive cleaner mixed with water.
- Clean the racks and utensil tray you removed earlier with warm soapy water. Remove any food that may be stuck.
- Add one to two cups of white vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher on the hottest cycle. While the dishwasher runs, clean the exterior with your spray solution and a fresh rag.
- Spray your vinegar-water mixture on the controls and any crevices in the paneling. Work out grime with a toothbrush and cotton swabs. For stainless steel, spray with a specialized cleaner and wipe with a microfiber cloth.
- After the cycle finishes, sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher. Run a short cycle.
- Wipe down the inside of the dishwasher with a paper towel.
After following these steps to clean your dishwasher, it should smell cleaner. You’ll also notice the stains are gone and the interior sparkles. Plus, since you’ve removed debris that may have been building up, your machine will run more effectively for cleaner dishes.
Find dishwashers and more at hhgregg
Looking for the best dishwasher on the market? hhgregg carries your favorite brands with the most up-to-date features in the styles you love. Plus, you’ll find a wide variety of kitchen appliances for a complete kitchen upgrade. Shop for the perfect range oven, refrigerator, microwave and more – all available online and at your local hhgregg store.