Washing Machine Buying Guide
Choosing the right washer for your home
A washing machine is one of the most important appliances in your home – and if you wash clothes for multiple people, you know it’s downright essential. But with all of the new technology, features, sizes and types available, how do you know which one is right for you? Before you upgrade your laundry room with a new washing machine , keep reading to determine which washer is the best fit for your home.
How much capacity do you need?
Similar to choosing the right dryer , the capacity of the right washing machine depends on the amount – and type – of laundry you will be washing. For example, do you frequently wash comforters, heavy towels or large loads of jeans? If so, a larger capacity washer may be necessary for your household. On the other hand, if you do laundry less often and only wash small loads (for example, laundry for a household of one or two), a small or medium capacity model may be perfect for you.
Top-load, front-load or combination washer?
Next, you’ll have to decide if you would prefer a front- or top-loading washing machine (or a combination washer!).
- Top-load: Top-loading washers are more traditional than their front-loading counterparts. As the name indicates, the machine opens at the top. Some top-loader washers are less expensive than front-loading models, and it’s easy to add laundry items to the machine mid-cycle. While top-load washing machines tend to be simple with fewer features, you can also find high-efficiency top-load washers with dozens of extras.
- Front-load: Front-loading washers are a newer type of model, made popular because of their large capacity. In general, front-loading washers tend to have more capacity than top-loading models. Plus, some front-loader washing machines can be stacked with a dryer, saving you space in your laundry room.
- Combination washer/dryer: The last type is a washer/dryer combo. These compact washers are attached to a dryer and are perfect for small spaces, like an apartment. Just remember that they will generally be smaller than standalone washing machines and may not have all of the bells and whistles of a full-size version
What features are best for your household?
Besides size and type, you’ll also want to consider the extra features and technology that come with certain washer models before choosing one. From steam cycle technology to delicate cycles, you’ll find dozens of helpful extras when browsing today’s laundry appliances. Before buying, think about the technologies your household needs the most. Here are some of the features available in hhgregg’s laundry appliance selection:
- Delicate cycle – If you’ll be washing fragile garments, this cycle will help to preserve the quality of your delicate clothing.
- Steam cycle – Skip the whole wash cycle with steam cycle technology, which will easily remove odors and wrinkles from laundry.
- Heavy duty cycle – Clean your heaviest towels, jeans and other sturdy items in the heavy duty cycle.
- Bleach dispenser – This dispenser pre-mixes bleach with water so you don’t have to worry about adding undiluted bleach to your clothing.
- Stackable – Free up floor space with a stackable washer and dryer.
- High efficiency – Also referred to as HE washers, high efficiency machines use less water, which can save you money on your utility bill.
After considering the types of washing machines available, narrow your search with our washer finder. Choose the features you want in your ideal machine, and our finder will supply a list of the top options based on your answers. Upgrade your laundry room with a new washer today!