Refrigerator Buying Guide
Choosing the right refrigerator for your home
Your fridge is the home appliance that is always working – from storing fresh fruit to tonight’s dinner ingredients, it’s an essential part of your kitchen. Today, fridges feature modern technology and convenient extras that can make your daily life easier, whether you’re cooking for two or ten. If you’re ready to give your kitchen an upgrade with a new refrigerator, read our refrigerator buying guide below for tips on choosing the right fridge for your household.
There are plenty of fridge styles to choose from! Check out the different types available – and the benefits of each – before choosing a refrigerator:
- French door – One of the newer styles on the market, French door refrigerators feature shelves at eye level and have shorter doors that are convenient for smaller spaces.
- Side-by-side – In this model, the freezer’s on one side and the fridge is on the other. However, capacity is slightly limited with this style.
- Bottom freezer – Enjoy easy access to shelves in the fridge – and more space than with a side-by-side model.
- Top freezer – This classic style is usually less expensive than French door and side-by-side versions, and it tends to be more energy efficient.
Color and Finish
Whether you’re looking for a sleek stainless steel fridge or a classic white one, you’ll have plenty of different colors and finishes to choose from. The most common colors offered include white, beige, black and stainless steel/silver.
Next, you’ll need to decide how large of a fridge you can fit in your kitchen – as well as how much space you would like in your refrigerator. Refrigerators can range from 21” to 42”, so make sure to measure your current fridge and see how much room you have for a new model. For larger families (and if you entertain often), you may be better suited for a larger fridge if you have room to accommodate it.
- Water dispenser – Get access to clean, cold water with a water dispenser mounted on the outside of the refrigerator.
- Ice maker – Enjoy more usable freezer space with a built-in ice maker.
- Ice dispenser – Easily dispense ice straight from the outside of your fridge.
- Energy Star qualified – Use less energy – and save money on your utility bill – with an energy efficient fridge.
- Door alarm – Make sure you never accidentally leave the fridge open with a door alarm that will sound after a certain period of time.
- Crisper drawers – Use these drawers to manage humidity levels and keep fruits and vegetables fresh.
Narrow your search with our fridge finder
There are dozens of refrigerators models to choose from – and hundreds of potential combinations when new technology, colors, size and brand are factored in! Now that you’ve read our fridge buying guide and have a better idea of the type of fridge you’d like, narrow your search with our refrigerator finder. Simply enter your fridge preferences, and our finder will provide you with a list of top-rated fridges aligned with your answers. Browse our full selection of kitchen appliances and upgrade your home today!
Looking for more buying guides? Check out our washer buying guide and dryer buying guide for tips on choosing a laundry appliance!