Dryer Buying Guide
Three questions to ask to determine the right dryer for your home
Over the years, dryers have evolved to include dozens of new features and technology. From auto-sensing dry to noise reduction technology, today’s dryers make your laundry routine easier than ever before. But with all of the types (and sizes) of dryers available, it can be tricky to choose the best one for your household. If you’re thinking of giving your laundry room an upgrade with a new clothes dryer, read our guide below to help you decide which dryer is right for your home.
1. How much capacity does your household need?
You’ll find dryers with a range of different capacities, but the right size depends on the type – and amount – of clothing you’ll be drying. If you live alone and primarily wash a few loads of delicate clothing and sweaters, a compact or small dryer will probably suffice. On the contrary, if you have a large family and wash many loads of bulky clothing, you may be better suited for a medium or large capacity dryer.
2. Gas or electric dryer?
There are two types of dryers: electric and gas. To purchase a gas dryer, you’ll need a natural gas hookup in your home – and if you don’t currently have one, you will need to have it installed by a professional, which can be expensive. Keep in mind that even though performance is comparable between these two options, cost savings can vary. While the purchase price for electric dryers is usually lower than similar gas models, electric dryers could potentially cost more in the long run depending on the cost of electricity in your area. If you’re deciding between the two types, check on energy rates in your location before buying an electric or gas dryer.
3. What extra features are important to you?
As we mentioned earlier, today’s dryers include the newest technology and features to make your clothes dry faster while better maintaining their quality. Before you buy your new dryer, make sure to do your research on what features will best meet your household’s needs. Here are some of the top dryer features you’ll find in hhgregg’s dryer selection:
- Auto sensing dry – Moisture sensors can detect when your clothes are dry so it can turn off the cycle, preventing over- or under-drying.
- End of cycle signal – You’ll be alerted when a load is done so you can switch out your laundry quickly.
- Energy efficient technology – Save energy, reduce environmental emissions and save money on your energy bill over time with an Energy Star qualified dryer.
- Noise reduction technology – Do your laundry in peace and quiet – without noisy drying cycles.
- Stackable – Especially for smaller rooms, stackable washers and dryers are a great solution to maximize space in your laundry room.
- Steam technology – Remove wrinkles and refresh your clothes with this convenient technology.
- Wrinkle protect cycle – After a cycle is complete, the dryer will tumble every few minutes to prevent dry clothes from settling and wrinkling.
Narrow your search with our dryer finder
Now that you have a better idea of the types of dryers available, check out our dryer finder to narrow your search. Simply select the features you want in your dryer, and our finder will provide you with a list of our top dryer results based on your answers. Upgrade your home with a new clothes dryer today!